A lot of people ask if Fortnite is cross-platform. Guess what? Yay! It’s finally here, cross-platform Fortnite! This means that you can play on Xbox, PS4, PC and Mobile and choose to encounter players from another platform. This comes in really handy when you play PS4 and your friend plays PC.
This guide will show you step-by-step how to activate Cross-Play if you’re unsure where to start. It’s fairly easy and takes about 3 minutes.
How To Setup your Epic Account To Cross-Play Fortnite
PS4 to PC:
Step 1: Open your Epic Games Launcher
If you don’t have the launcher, you’ll need to download it from here. (https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/download)
Step 2: Sign into your account.
Step 3: Head over to the friends section here
Step 4: A window will pop up. Hit the add friend icon and then type your friends Display Name or E-mail Address into the bar.
Step 5: Go onto the game and click “Battle Royale”. Once the lobby screen loads, choose the icon of 3 “friends” representing your friends list. Find the friend you want to play with and select “join party”, and your character will pop up in your friends lobby.
Xbox One to PC:
Step 1: Firstly, ensure your Epic account is associated with your Playstation or Xbox account. To do this, simply download the game from the Xbox store and sign in/create an account, or make an Epic Account via their website. It will automatically ask you to associate accounts on the console and is very clear.
Step 2: You will need to download the Epic Games Launcher onto a PC, and from here you can alternatively associate your console account with your Epic Account. Click here to download the Epic Games Launcher. (https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/download)
Once installed, open the program.
Step 3: Log into your Epic Account
(Note, you can connect your xbox account here, click the icon you need and it will redirect you to a browser page where you can sign into your console account. It’s as simple as that and it’s finished.)
Step 4: Go back to the Epic Games Launcher and then head over to the friends section here.
Step 5: A window will pop up. Hit the add friend icon and then type your friends Display Name or E-mail Address into the bar.
Step 6: Go on to the game on your console and click “Battle Royale”. On Xbox you will need to set your in game privacy to “Friends” or “Public”. Once the lobby screen loads, your friend using a PC or Mobile needs to choose the icon of 3 “friends” representing your friends list. They need to find your username and select “join party”, and their character will pop up in your lobby.
iOS or Android (Mobile):
See PC, then launch Fornite on your phone and join friends from there instead.
Note: Fortnite on android or iOS is a whooping 2GB in size, and will require this much space to download. I had to delete most of my apps!
Hints, Tips & Advice:
- – Only PC or Mobile can request to join another platforms game. (At this time).
- – You don’t have to cross-platform play, if don’t want too, even if you’ve set up a game previously with a friend from another platform. You will only be entered into a cross-platform game if you’re already in a cross-platform party.
- – You cannot “fill” your party with random members if you’re in a cross-platform party.
- – Xbox only: You are able to stop your PC and Mobile friends from joining your party/lobby. It’s as simple as going to the settings menu and disabling cross-play.
- – If you’re playing on PS4, you can link to PC, Mac and Mobile players but NOT Xbox players. (Hopefully PlayStation will negotiate this soon!)
- – On Xbox and PS4 you need to ensure your in game privacy settings is set to “friends” or “public.”
So is Fortnite cross-platform, and if so can you do it?
As you can see, joining a friend on another platform is nice and easy in Fortnite. The only downside is that you will need to access a PC in order to download the Epic Games Launcher and add your friends. Now go on, go and enjoy Fortnite in Cross-Platform!